Last Sunday, November 1st, was a special day for all the vegans around the world as this day has been established as the World Vegan Day. For the occasion, celebrations and events were performed in many cities of the planet.
In Athens we celebrated the day with a very beautiful event, organized by the “Vegan Union” in the collective “500 miles away”.
“Vegan in Athens” was there to meet friends and participate in the fest. These healthy muffins were made especially for the day!
The recipe is dedicated to the friends that came to the event and especially to Christina, Antonia, Helena, Elsa, Vangelis, Ellie, Vassilis, Dimitris, Nelly and to those who wanted to be with us, but weren’t able to.
(for about 22-24 muffins)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup soymilk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons (preferably organic and as fresh as possible)
- ½ cup light oil
- ¼ cup poppy seeds
- ¼ cup dry coconut, grated
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar, granulated
- 2 ¾ cups whole wheat flour from soft wheat
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- In the mixer, add the oil with the sugar, coconut milk and soy milk and beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until the ingredients are homogenized.
- Add in the juice and zest of the lemons, the shredded coconut, the poppy seeds and the flour in 3-4 doses and continue beating for a few minutes.
- Lay a muffin pan with muffin papers (alternatively we can use greaseproof paper pieces cut in the same size) and fill each of them with the mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170 oC, for 30 minutes or until the muffins become golden and evenly baked.
- Leave on a rack to cool. Decorate with shredded coconut or with a lemon or vanilla icing.