Among the most relaxing things one can do, especially after a busy day, is to bake some vegan cookies (especially some vegan chocolate chip cookies)! I’m not sure I know why, though I could guess that their smell during baking is the most cozy air freshner I could think of, or that the joy of baking cookies is not overshadowed by the “must” that often turns our, otherwise pleasant, engagement with cooking into a tedious job. Besides, one can live even without cookies! But the thing is that freshly baked cookies are between those things that could transform a moment of our day into a ritual, since many of us would allow ourselves to devote some of our precious time exclusively to the cookie eating, starting from the moment we take it between our fingers, we smell it, bite it – putting at the same time the palm under our mouth to catch the crumbs- and slowly chew it, enjoying the crispyness that lasts only for a few magical seconds and trying to reveal the complexity of its flavors. Even if things were not easy until then, when we are into this moment everything looks better.
Sometimes I wonder, don’t we deserve more of those peaceful and delightful moments? Of course I do not mean by eating tons of cookies but by letting ourselves be present in everything that happens by observing and enjoying even some of the things that we usually take for granted, such as some deep breaths, a glass of cool water, a daily walk with our quadrupedal friends or alone in the afternoon sun, our very existence. If I would made a wish for all of us, I think that would be to enjoy everything we do, live and taste as much as our favorite chocolate cookie!
Today’s cookies are absolutely chocolaty as they contain not only cocoa powder but also dark chocolate chips, satisfying even the most addicted to the black temptation. In addition, our cookies are made with olive oil and whole wheat flour, being an equally tasty but much healthier alternative to classic chocolate cookies.
(for 20-25 cookies)
- 100 g olive oil (1/3 cup + 2tbsp)
- 45 ml plant milk (3 tbsp)
- 4 tbsp heaped of cocoa powder
- 150 g whole wheat flour, soft (1 cup)
- 125 g sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 100 g vegan dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
1. Mix the olive oil with the plant milk, sugar, cocoa, salt and baking powder until a uniform chocolate blend is obtained. Add the flour kneading until a soft dough is formed (do not knead much though to get the optimal texture). Add the chocolate, knead a little more, cover with a clear film and put in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
2. Take walnut-sized dough pieces and give your cookies the shape you like. Lay a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper and place the cookies inside, leaving 2-3 cm between them as they increase in volume during baking.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 170 ° C for 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven and on the thickness of your cookies).
4. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool. When they are completely cooled, transfer to a cookie box.
Notes: Your cookies are going to be soft immediately after baking, so give them some time to cool and get their distinctive crunchy consistency.