Avocados are always in our shopping list, since we use them almost every day. Both their rich flavor and their creamy texture make them extremely useful in many sweet and savory preparations. Specifically in vegan pastry, because of their high fat content, they can be used as a healthy and cruelty-free substitute for whipped cream in a wide range of recipes -from a simple, chocolaty mousse like the one we make today, up to an impressive raw vegan cake or a refreshing and fluffy ice-cream.
Usually when I find avocados at a good price, Ι buy a relatively large quantity, mostly for our salads. I keep them in the fridge and every 2-3 days I take some out and place them in the fruit bowl on our kitchen counter. The simplest way to make our avocados ripen in 2-3 days is to place them next to ripe bananas, apples, pears or other fruits that ripen after being picked from the trees. These fruits produce a natural plant hormone which makes them ripen and so does to the avocados that are placed together with them.
This chocolaty, raw and vegan avocado mousse is my favorite way to use overripe avocados and prepare a wonderful dessert in only 5 minutes. In order to achieve a rich and fluffy texture I also add full fat coconut milk, which, moreover, balances –together with the cacao and the vanilla- the taste of avocados that might not be welcome from everyone.
Finally, pistachios, give to our dessert an even more interesting taste and texture.
- 2 very ripe avocados, medium sized (1 ½ cup flesh)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk homemade or store bought
- ½ cup agave syrup or another liquid sweetener
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- ½ cup raw pistachios peeled and coarsely chopped
- Pour all the ingredients in a blender and blend on a medium speed for a few minutes until a smooth cream is formed.
- With a spoon add in each bowl a thick layer of the mousse, in between 1-2 Tbsp of pistachios and then end with a nice thick layer of chocolate mousse.
- Garnish with pistachios, cover the bowls and place them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
Note: Experiment with additional ingredients such as orange zest and orange juice instead of vanilla extract, or replace pistachios with nuts of your choice!