These days we are on vacation in Crete, the island with the scrumptious, juicy tomatoes and the fresh vegetables, the fluffy potatoes and the local avocados, the beautiful beaches and the warm sun! The amazing nature and the people here make me wanna spend most of the day outside, walking, swimming and talking and therefore the time left in the kitchen is minimal. However, this does not mean that we compromise on the taste and quality of our food. Simply, I choose to prepare easy, delicious and quick vegan recipes that do not require much preparation and are both nutritious and healthy.
One of them is a vegan version of the traditional Greek salad, made with potatoes and avocado. Actually this recipe is a variation of a mediterranean salad made by my grandmother during the summers, to which I replaced the animal ingredients with the delicious Cretan avocadoes and I also modified the sauce a little bit according to our taste. Although very simple in its preparation, this potato salad, which can be eaten as an accompaniment or as a light main course, is one of our favorite choices, especially when we are on vacation, when both the time and the cοoking equipment available are limited. Fortunately, all that is needed to create this recipe is freshly picked, organically grown ingredients and our happy mood 🙂
For the salad
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes cut into chunks
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and cut into chunks
- 1 avocado peeled and sliced
- 2 medium or 1big cucumber peeled and sliced
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 4 tbsp. capers or olives (or both!)
- 2-3 tbspfresh basil or spearmint leaves chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, ground
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper
For the sauce
- 2-3 tbsp virgin olive oil
- 2 tbl. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. apple or grape vinegar
- 1 tbsp. prepared mustard
For serving (optional)
2 Cretan barley rusks (paximadia)
1. In a large bowl mix all the salad ingredients slightly before serving.
2. In another bowl, mix with a fork or a mixer the ingredients for the sauce. Pour over the salad.
3. Mix the salad well and serve over barley rusks or enjoy with your favorite bread.