Raw vegan desserts are my passion, as they sweeten, nourish and satisfy our sweet tooth naturally without having to consume large quantities. Subsequently, a raw vegan cheesecake can be a delicious, yet nutritious treat or an afternoon dessert (sometimes it serves as breakfast for me too!). This raw vegan chocolate cheesecake combines the classic cashew cream “cheese” with the rich chocolate taste, things that make it very popular to both kids and adults. For this reason, I often prepare it when we invite friends for a meal in our house.
A good blender and the mood for un-baking is all you are going to need in order to prepare it!
(for 20-22 cm diameter pan)
For the crust
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ½ cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
For the chocolate cream
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 4-6 hours and drained
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup agave nectar or other raw liquid sweetener
- ½ cup coconut oil or cocoa butter, melted
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp natural vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp sea salt
For the chocolate sauce
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tablespoons cocoa powder
- For the crust: Wash the raisins, drain them and put them in the food processor along with the nuts and the cocoa powder. Process for a few minutes until a soft dough is formed. If you do not like the small pieces of nuts in the base, process the nuts until they become powdered and add the raisins afterwards.
- For the chocolate cream: Put in blender half of the cashews, the lemon juice, the agave nectar, the cocoa powder and the coconut oil and blend for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is creamy and uniform. Add the rest of the cashews and blend for few more minutes until they are incorporated in the mixture and the texture of the cream is smooth and homogeneous.
- For the chocolate sauce: With a hand mixer or a fork mix well all the ingredients until a uniform chocolate syrup is formed.
- Assembly: Line a cheesecake pan of 20-22 cm diameter with greaseproof paper and spread the crust mixture over its bottom. Press with your hands to distribute equally over the bottom of your pan. Pour the chocolate cream on top of the crust, flatten the surface lightly with the back of a spoon or a spatula and pour over the chocolate sauce. Refrigerate for 8-12 hours to set before serving.