When we crave for something sweet, some raw vegan desserts I make are our favorite choice, as they have both fantastic taste –if you’ve ever eaten a raw chocolate cheesecake you probably know what I mean- and great nutritional value.
Lately I was looking for an easy and 100% raw vegan, super-tasty chocolate brownie recipe and after experimenting a little bit I came up with this! It is exactly what I was looking for since they are moist, fudgy and really satisfying with some crunchy nut bites. Besides, each portion provides valuable nutrients and beneficial fats, without added sugar, processed starches or gluten. Their only disadvantage is that it’s hard to resist eating more than one serving!
Just remember to keep them in the fridge, especially during summer, as coconut oil in temperatures above 24 °C tends to melt and thereby your brownies may soften too much.
For the brownies
- 2 cups Medjool dates (400 g)
- ½ cup raw cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed (60 g)
- 2 cups finely shredded coconut * (150 g)
- ¾ cup avocado flesh cut into small cubes (150 g)
- 3-4 tablespoons maca powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons (60 ml) coconut oil melted
- ½ cup Brazil nuts or coarsely chopped hazelnuts
For the topping
- 5 tbsp agave syrup or other raw liquid sweetener
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 tbsp water
- Line a small square or rectangular baking pan with greaseproof paper (mine was 25×16).
- Wash the dates and carefully remove their seeds. Put them in the food processor together with the coconut oil and the avocado and process for 2 minutes or until a smooth cream has been formed.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except Brazil nuts) and process on medium speed until incorporated.
- Put the mixture on the kitchen counter and press slightly with your hands. Sprinkle with the chopped nuts and knead until incorporated.
- Transfer into the pan and press the mixture with your hands to spread it evenly and make sure it has a uniform thickness. Flatten the surface with a spatula.
- Prepare the topping: In a bowl mix the agave syrup with the water and cocoa very well. Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler (in summer in Greece coconut oil is permanently liquid!) and add in the mixture while stirring.
- Pour over the brownie and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.