For those of us who like french fries but keep our fat intake low, this is definitely a recipe to try. A few years ago I read about this healthy version of “fried” potatoes and to be honest I was dubious about the success of the recipe. This is why I first made these healthy “fried” (actually baked) potatoes, with my own blend of spices and herbs, much later. But since then we never went back! The secret of making them soft inside with a savory, golden crust outside is to cut them just like we cut the classic french fries – neither smaller or larger – and sprinkle them with the spices of your choice. These potatoes, although oil-free, are just as tasty as the best french fries we’ve ever eaten without the heavy smell and taste of the fried oils.
- 5 medium potatoes peeled
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. ground sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. ground smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
1. Preheat the oven to 225 oC.
2. Cut the potatoes into thick wedges and put them in a deep bowl along with all the spices and salt. Mix with your hands very well until they are evenly covered with the spices.
3. Line a baking pan with non-stick baking paper and arrange the potatoes, leaving few millimeters space between each other.
4. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy while still hot!
Note: Instead of smoked paprika you can also use the same amount of your favorite carry powder for a more complex taste!
- Vegan omelet with potatoes and caramelized onions– gluten-free, oil-free
- Baked sweet potatoes with orange juice and ginger
- One dish – three recipes with zucchini: pancakes, avocado- tzatziki and a refreshing Greek salad!
- Zucchini, basil and almond tart
- Vegan moussaka with lentils and mushrooms – oil-free, easy and delicious
- Vegan melomakarona with petimezi (grape molasses)
- White-eggplant dip with roasted peppers