Usually, when I return tired at home, I like to prepare a quick dinner so as to have some free time for the things that make me relax. While I love cooking, sometimes I just want to deal with something that does not include a sink full of dirty dishes! Thus I make sure I always have some pantry (and fridge) essentials for a quick, nutritious and delicious meal with the minimal effort (washing, cutting, cooking and washing again!).
Some of the things we almost always have in our refrigerator are a jar of home-made pesto – basil pesto during summer and rocket or kale pesto during winter- and some kind of nut cheese or even tofu. Last night I used kale pesto and nut cheese over two whole wheat pita breads (there are always some homemade or store-bought Greek-style pita breads in the freezer) and within minutes we enjoyed a tasty and nutritious Italian pizza, without animal-derived ingredients and with a minimal cost.
For 2 mini pizzas we needed:
- two Greek whole wheat pita breads (16 to 18 cm diameter)
- 3-4 tablespoons kale or arugula pesto
- ½ cup vegan nut cheese or tofu cut in cubes
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes in slices
- ½ cup Kalamata olives pitted
- 1 cup chopped green salad of choice (arugula, lettuce, spinach etc)
- ground pepper
- ground oregano
- Spread the pesto over the pita breads.
- Add tomatoes, cheese and olives.
- Season with pepper and oregano.
- Bake in preheated oven at 220 ° C for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with the salad (I think that the arugula with its spicy flavor is the perfect choice) and serve immediately!
Note: If you are going to use frozen pita breads, defrost them first.
- Vegan greek salad with avocado, potatoes and capers
- Vegan pasta with cherry tomatoes, olives, rosemary and capers
- Mediterranean baked okra with marinated tofu and spices
- Warm pasta salad with cherry tomatoes and rosemary
- Vegan lahmacun with lentil, cauliflower and almond “mince” sauce
- Fragrant vegan scones with pesto sauce and whole wheat flour
- Lentil, arugula and caper salad