Few days ago I bought lots of fresh and tasty walnuts from a farmers market and I was trying to think what to do with them. Since I love nut cheeses, walnut cheese seemed to be a good idea to experiment with. And actually it was! The nutty taste of walnuts together with the sun-dried tomatoes create a unique, special taste and makes this cheese delicious!
- 2 cups peeled walnuts
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- Soak the walnuts 12 hours in cold water. It’s better to change the water 1-2 times in order to reduce their bitterness.
- Drain and add the nuts with the water, lemon-juice, apple cider vinegar, yeast and salt in a blender and blend for 3-4 minutes until creamy. Stop blending every few seconds and clean the walls with your spatula until all the solid parts are blended.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and mix with the spatula.
- Place a strainer over a bowl and line it with cheesecloth.
- Spoon nut mixture into the center of cheesecloth and sprinkle some salt and 1-2 tbsp chopped sun-dried tomatoes or spices of your choice over the cheese.
- Fold the sides of the cloth over the cheese and form into a spherical loaf. Twist the ends of the cloth and secure with rubber bands or a strip of cloth or a thread. Set in the strainer over a bowl and let it stand in a warm place for 12 hours (e.g. in a dehydrator or your oven at 50oC or even a sunny, airy room or balcony in a hot, summer day).
- Put uncovered in the fridge for at least 48 hours so that the drying process continues.
- Now it will be easy to unwrap the cheese. Serve it over crackers, bread or with a salad. You can keep it in the fridge for over 2 weeks.